Postdoctoral Psychology Training
As part of its multiple efforts to better organize and improve postdoctoral training, APPIC is pleased to offer the following resources for applicants and training programs.
APPIC strongly encourages all Postdoctoral Programs and Applicants to adhere to the APPIC Postdoctoral Selection Guidelines
for the 2016/2017 selection process.
With the support of the Postdoctoral Training Summit attendees, the APPIC Postdoctoral Workgroup has spearheaded the development of a Universal Psychology Postdoctoral Directory (UPPD). The UPPD is a free service available to all postdoctoral training programs including non-APPIC member programs.
For postdoctoral training directors, to create a new account and enter your program in the UPPD:
Click on the following link to create an account. http://www.appic.org/register?UPPD=1
Watch your inbox for an email indicating that your registration has been approved.
After you are approved, log into the directory http://www.appic.org/About-APPIC/Universal-Psychology-Postdoctoral-Directory. You will automatically be redirected to the directory page where a large blue button will allow you to add or manage listings.
For postdoctoral training directors who already have an account and program listing in the UPPD:
Click on the following link to log in http://www.appic.org/Login
Your email is your username.
If you forgot your password, you can request to have it reset.
Unfilled Positions after the 2/27/17 Uniform Notification Date
Last year APPIC developed an independent portal for programs to list unfilled position following the Uniform Notification Date. For the current postdoctoral selection cycle, this function will be served by the UPPD.
Programs - Programs that have unfilled position following 2/27/17 should:
- Log into the UPPD. See the instructions in the section above about logging into the UPPD including how to reset your password if you cannot remember it.
- It is highly recommended that training directors test logging into the UPPD prior to 2/27/17 to ensure that they can access their program listings.
- For each listing with one or more unfilled positions, add the number of unfilled positions in the field named "Unfilled positions after 2/27/17."
- Update the "Application Instructions" field to notify applicants how you want to receive applications for unfilled positions. It is recommended that programs be proactive and identify how they want to receive applications beforehand.
- Update (save) the revised listing.
- For just unfilled positions added after 2/27/17, it is critical that programs update listings when positions are filled so applicants searching for unfilled positions can accurately identify programs with open positions. This will also prevent applicants from contacting you about positions that have already been filled.
- Note: The "Unfilled positions after 2/27/17" field has been cleared for all programs. Data that was in that field was moved to a “Memo” field.
Applicants - Applicants that have not secured a postdoctoral position on 2/27/17 should:
- Access UPPD http://www.appic.org/About-APPIC/Universal-Psychology-Postdoctoral-Directory
- Click on the "Advanced Search Options" button and change the "Unfilled positions" field to "show only listings with unfilled positions."
- Complete other search fields to narrow your search as desired. See the link for search instructions at the top of the search page.
- Pay particular attention to the "Application Instructions" field for information how to contact programs and submit application materials for unfilled positions.
The APPA CAS (APPIC Psychology Postdoctoral Application) is highly flexible to meet the needs of a wide range of postdoctoral programs requiring basic demographic, internship and postdoctoral programs information, and letters of recommendation while allowing multiple uploads to be defined by individual programs. APPIC believes the APPA CAS provides a significant contribution to postdoctoral training providing a more unified and user-friendly application process for applicants and programs. APPA CAS provides a more coordinated review of applicant information and reduced costs and time for applicants.
Note: APPA CAS is not linked to your UPPD (Universal Psychology Postdoctoral Directory) listing. Programs wanting to use APPA CAS to receive applications must register with our vendor and configure a program portal. Click on the APPA CAS link above for details.
We have developed a series of Postdoc Video Presentations to educate applicants and postdoctoral programs about the postdoctoral application process.
The Postdoctoral Workgroup will holding a series of Q and A Webinars for postdoctoral applicants and training directors on the postdoctoral selection process.
APPIC has completed multiple surveys of postdoctoral programs through the years. Please see this link to review a summary of the findings from prior years.
APPIC Member postdoctoral programs are required to provide an organized sequence of training experiences that meet or exceeds membership criteria for APPIC. Training materials should accurately reflect the training experiences at that site. Members are reviewed by the APPIC Postdoctoral Membership Committee every 3 years to ensure that programs continue to meet APPIC standards. Please see the Joining APPIC
webpage for specific postdoctoral membership criteria.
Postdoctoral Training Summit - Postdoctoral training, although a critical component in the sequence of psychology training, has evolved in the absence of any organizing body dedicated solely to postdoctoral training issues. Given the growth of postdoctoral training in the US, APPIC, with the support of APA’s Education Directorate, hosted a Postdoctoral Psychology on May 28th and 29th, 2016. The summit brought together major stakeholders to develop roadmaps that address the crucial issues in postdoctoral training for programs, trainees, and the public.
Other Postdoctoral Training Links of Interest
American Board of Professional Psychology - ABPP
Behavioral and Cognitive Psychology
Child Clinical Psychology - APA Division 53
Commission for the Recognition of Specialties and Proficiencies in Professional Psychology (CRSPPP)
Forensic Psychology - APA Division 41
Neuropsychology - APPCN
Neuropsychology - NAN
Neuropsychology - APA Division 40 Directory of Training Programs
The Council of Specialties in Professional Psychology
Health Psychology - APA Division 38