Postdoctoral Application Video and Webinars
Postdoctoral Application Process - Video Presentations
We have developed a series of videos to educate applicants and postdoctoral programs about the postdoctoral application process.
Background & context (episode #1)
Postdoctoral Application Process - Webinars
APPIC and the Postdoctoral Workgroup are very excited to announce our upcoming series of webinars. The discussants, who are members of the APPIC Postdoctoral Workgroup and Postdoctoral Training Directors themselves, will address the following topics and then field questions submitted during the webinar.
Purpose and Type of Postdocs
- How do I know if I need a postdoc?
- What are the advantages of completing a formal postdoc over securing my own supervised clinical experience?
- Do I need to attend an APA-accredited postdoc?An APPIC-member postdoc?
- What do the terms “specialty training” and “emphases” mean?How are they different?
- Universal Psychology Postdoctoral Directory (UPPD)
- What is the UPPD?
- Will all postdocs be listed in the new UPPD?
- How do I access the UPPD?
- When is the UPPD complete...how will I know when all available listings are there?
APPIC Postdoc Selection Guidelines
- To how many programs should I apply?
- What is the timeline for this process? When is program information available? When are applications due?When are interviews?
- How will this process work if I'm applying to both research and clinical postdocs?
- What should I be aware of if I am applying to a postdoc program at the same site as my internship?
- How does it work if I am applying to both 2-year neuropsychology and non-neuropsychology clinical postdocs?
- What kinds of application materials do postdoc programs request?
- When do I need to use APPA-CAS (The centralized postdoctoral application)?
- How do I request a phone/skype interview? (if I'm worried about money and/or time away from internship.)
- How do I know if a program is following the APPIC postdoc selection guidelines?
- What do I do if a program doesn't know about the selection guidelines, or says they aren't following them?
- How do I handle it if some of the programs I apply to are following the selection guidelines and others aren't?
- How long can I ask to hold an offer?
- If I don’t accept an offer right away, will the postdoc program view me negatively if I wind up at that site?
- When could or should I request a reciprocal offer? (If I get an offer from one program, but there's another program I prefer, what do I do?) And especially if this happens before February 27, or if the selection guidelines aren't being followed?
- What if I request a reciprocal offer from my top ranked program and the program does offer me the position?
- If I request a reciprocal offer, what kind of proof do I need to show that I have a "valid offer?"
- What do I do if I do not have an offer on February 27th?
The webinars will be held on the following dates. Click on the corresponding link to register. You will receive a confirmatory email once you register. In that email, click on the link “Check System requirements” to see if your computer is set up for the GoToWebinar platform. You may need to download a plug-in to your computer which could be challenging for those in settings with locked computer networks. Checking ahead of time will allow for you to request such changes from your IT administrators. GoToWebinar is also available as an app for smart phones and tablets. Again, please check this ahead of time. Connectivity could be limited by the strength of your data connection.
Please register for one of the following webinar dates:
Friday 10/14 @12-1pm CST
Discussants: Wayne Siegel, PhD & Allison Aosved, PhD. (Kimberly Hill, Ph.D.; Moderator)
Registration URL: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/54654901218918916
Webinar ID: 345-380-643
Monday 10/17 @ 7-8 CST
Discussants: Wayne Siegel, PhD & Beth McQuaid, PhD (Allison Aosved, PhD.; Moderator)
Webinar ID: 345-380-643
Wednesday 10/19 @ 1-2 CST
Discussants: Wayne Siegel, PhD & Beth McQuaid, PhD (Claytie Davis III, PhD; Moderator)
Registration URL: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3196455501519386372
Webinar ID: 967-965-523
Tuesday 10/25 @ 2-3 CST
Discussants: Wayne Siegel, PhD & Allison Aosved, PhD. (Mariella Self, PhD.; Moderator)
Registration URL: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8266324507915323652
Webinar ID: 967-920-659
Training Directors only 10/26 – TDs only 12-1 CST
Wayne and Beth (Mariella Moderator)
Registration URL: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3844354822814231556
Webinar ID: 967-943-907
*** Links to the Webinar recordings will be available on this page by October 23. 2106 at the latest.
Please encourage your colleagues and mentors to attend one of these webinars. The more informed the postdoctoral community of applicants and training directors is, the smoother the process will be. APPIC wishes you a very successful postdoctoral application process!
Feel free to contact Wayne G. Siegel, Ph.D., ABPP, APPIC Postdoctoral Workgroup Chair, with any questions at email@example.com or 612-467-4024.